- 1966: Born in Dublin, Ireland
- 1984—1988: B.A. (Mod.) in biochemistry, University of Dublin (Trinity College), Dublin, Ireland. Note: the bachelor’s degree for science subjects at Trinity College Dublin has the name B.A. (Mod.) for historical reasons, and is equivalent to a British “honours B.Sc”.
- 1988—1993: Ph.D. in biochemistry, University of Dundee, Scotland. Research on structural aspects of a multifunctional enzyme of pyrimidine biosynthesis.
- 1993—1995: Postdoc at the GSF-Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit (now renamed »Helmholtz-Zentrum München«), Großhadern, Munich, Germany.
Research on the enzymology of pteridine biosynthesis.
- 1995: Passed the German language exam Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom with the grade “1”, Goethe-Institute, Munich.
- 1995—2000: Postdoc (on an FWF-funded project) at the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl-Franzens University of Graz.
Research on the enzymology of nitric oxide (NO) synthase.
- 2000—2002: English trainer for Berlitz Austria GmbH, Language Center Graz.
Work in many companies in manufacturing industry throughout Styria.
- 2002—: Self-employed translator, editor, proofreader and author, with emphasis on scientific and engineering subject areas.
- 2002—2008: Chairman of ARGUS Steiermark – Die Radlobby, campaigning organization for cycling as an everyday mode of mobility.
- 2007— : Married to Dr. Ulla Fürstenberg
- 2008—2011: Member of the management committee of ARGUS (Austria)
- 2009—2012: Represented ARGUS in a ministerial subcommittee on amendments to the rules of the road (Straßenverkehrsordnung) and related regulations
- 2010: Birth of daughter Nora Ann